I'm preparing to build/test the new 2.6 kernel on my dual Athlon box. I'm current running gentoo-sources 2.4.20-r5.

My question is this: In the past it's been noted on numerous occasions the importance of having the link /usr/src/linux pointing to the current kernel before configuration. Does this advice also apply to the 2.5.x series kernels, linked as "linux-beta"?

In other words, do I need to create a /usr/src/linux symlink to the 2.6 test directory, or will the existing linux-beta symlink suffice?

Best,
/tom