On Tuesday 15 July 2003 04:12 am, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> * edj (2003-07-15 03:31 +0200)
>
> > My machine is not sending localmail, i.e., error messages, cron
> > junk, etc, to root -- "Sendmail:  cannot open port 25".    No
> > wonder - I do not have sendmail installed.
>
> Sure you have. Try "which sendmail".

Well, well - shows what I know.  Somewhere below in this thread, you
state that this sendmail is a link to ssmtp.  At least on my gentoo, it
isn't,  It's just a plain old executable.  ssmtp has been removed.
Anyway, I was looking originally for the "other" sendmail, as in emerge
sendmail.

> * http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=61606
> * http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=56633

Thanks a lot (a  _whole_  lot - to everybody) for the pointers.  It all
works now!

--
Ed Jabbour