(reference header fixed manually.  when starting a new thread,
  please don't reply to an existing article.)

Tom Syroid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm preparing to build/test the new 2.6 kernel on my dual Athlon
> box. I'm current running gentoo-sources 2.4.20-r5.

  welcome to the club.

> My question is this: In the past it's been noted on numerous
> occasions the importance of having the link /usr/src/linux pointing
> to the current kernel before configuration. Does this advice also
> apply to the 2.5.x series kernels, linked as "linux-beta"?

  generally speaking, you want /usr/src/linux to point to your running
  kernel.  some ebuilds use /usr/src/linux and not /lib/modules/`uname
  -r`.

> In other words, do I need to create a /usr/src/linux symlink to the
> 2.6 test directory, or will the existing linux-beta symlink suffice?

  I used /usr/src/linux even for my 2.5.X-testing because of ebuilds
  doing interesting things at times.  on the upside, things work.  :-)

--
Terje