Hi;

I am trying to install Gentoo (1.4_rc4) on an old IBM Aptiva (Pentium MMX 200, with ~
192 MB of memory), where this machine will be turned into a firewall (planning on
using Netfilter), and will be used in a Lab at a university. Gentoo does detect eth0
and eth1, but when i try to configure the network with DHCP, nothing works.

I used 'net-setup eth0' and selected the 'Use DHCP to auto-detect my network settings'
option. Then when i enter 'ifconfig' neither eth0 nor eth1 are there. If i enter
'ifconfig eth0' there is no IP address shown. I even tried using 'dhcpcd eth0' but
that doesn't work either.

The second part of the question is, since this machine will be used as a firewall,
would it be better if i start from Stage1 or Stage2 of the installation process? I am
new to linux, but I am willing to do it the hard way (that is the only way to learn:))
 I appreciate any tips on installation, customization and optimization when starting
either from stage1 or stage2.

Thanks for your help.

Az