On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 18:27, Stroller wrote:
> On 24/7/03 6:11 pm, "Alex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of a good laptop to run linux on (preferably gentoo)?
> > I was wondering, since gentoo is a source-based distrobution, how *slow*
> > of a computer can be useful?
> >
> > Would mozilla run well on a Pentium II-266 Mhz? I realize there are other
> > browsers like links & lynx, but they don't seem to render most pages
> > correctly.
>
> I've installed Gentoo on a PII 400 Vaio C1. Those are the ones with the 480
> x 1140 (?) widescreens, and they're available 2nd hand on eBay for c £400.
>
> That doesn't answer all your concerns, but it IS a lovely _light_ lappy -
> it'll just about fit in an inside jacket pocket. With a very little hacking,
> it is possible to use the whole width of the screen in framebuffer mode.
> TBH, it is a little too short, but it is quite usable.
>
> The C1 is adequately fast in the console even with a knackered hard-drive -
> I'll be interested to see how it does in KDE once I've gotten around to
> replacing that. My battery is knackered also, 8-[, but I get an hour out of
> it.
>
> Stroller.

I've got the same machine (with 128 MB RAM) and KDE is quite usable. It
takes about 1min to start up, Firebird and Evolution are also usable
once they have started up.

Even the camera and the jog-dial work.

You can also set up the screen (under X) to do 1186x640 (?) so you have
the same (virtual)  screen size as with a 'normal' laptop.
(let me know if you need a sample XF86config)

Compiling stuff is probably too slow without distcc (KDE took 4-5 days
if I remember correctly without distcc).

So if you are looking for a light laptop... they don't come much lighter
(~1kg)! There are also newer models for about £ 1500 with more RAM and
faster processors...

Cheers,

Michael.
PGP-Public Key ID: 278E1DFF