On Saturday 26 July 2003 01:00, Prabhat Gupta wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > Prabhat Gupta wrote:
> >> I am looking for ideas to reduce the space requirment and also
> >> compile time. I have only 24 hrs left for this :(
> >
> > Consider using distcc to speed up compile time. I've never used it
> > myself, but I've heard good things about it. Better yet, do the
> > compiling on an insanely overspecced server and cp the filesystem onto
> > your laptop afterwards :)
> >
> > Condiser NFS/iSCSI/whatever for /var/tmp/portage and /usr/portage .
> > You should only need those when installing things, so it might be okay
> > to put them on a different box...
> >
> > Don't emerge kde. Emerge kde-base and whatever else you need.
> >
> > HTH,
>
> Thanks,
>
> Any ideas, how to use distcc? I am currently doing bootstrapping.
>
> Also I do have a fast machine with gentoo installed but I don't know how
> to setup NFS and use it for installation?
>
> Any pointers?

As I said before I haven't used distcc before, but I suggest not using in
conjuction with your "slow" laptops. You will end up having the fast machine
wait for the laptops to finish compiling something it could have done quicker
by itself. If you can use the fast machine to do the compiling, do like I
said before but use the -B flag to emerge rather than adding "buildpkg" to
FEATURES; that will build the packages without installing them. NFS I believe
to be fairly easy to set up. Do a man mount and if that doesn't help just
search for "nfs howto" with google and you should be right.

Jason