Jason Stubbs wrote:

On Saturday 26 July 2003 00:48, Prabhat Gupta wrote:

Condon Thomas A KPWA wrote:

Prabhat Gupta wrote:

Hi All,

I am trying to install a minimal gentoo on an IBM Thinkpad 760XL.

The laptop has 1.6G free space on ROOT partition. Currently I am
bootstrapping the system.

I want a minimal system to do some C++ development. I need GCC, make,
CVS, shells.

I also need minimal KDE.

What should be my next steps after BOOTSTRAPPING?

Since Gentoo comes up with multiple consoles using the F1-F6 keys why do
you need KDE?  If you really want a minimal system this would seem
superfluous.

In Harmony's Way, and In A Chord,

Tom :-})

Hi Tom,

Sometime it feels good to debug using DDD rather using plain gdb.

Anyway my boss needs 4-5 of those junk laptops to demostrate compute
farms and he need some graphics.

I am looking for ideas to reduce the space requirment and also compile
time. I have only 24 hrs left for this :(

24 hours? What were those laptops again? KDE normally takes about 24 hours to compile everything on my AthlonXP.

If you can network the laptops then I suggest using CFLAGS for the lowest common denominator and also use distcc. Perform the Gentoo install (as per instructions) using stage2 on the laptops using stage2. After that set FEATURES in /etc/make.conf to include "buildpkg". After that, build distcc on one laptop and mount /usr/portage on all the others via nfs. Then emerge distcc on all the other laptops using the -k flag (install from a precompiled package where possible). Set up distcc and make sure to include it in FEATURES on all laptops - I've never done it so I can't help you there. Then emerge kdebase and whatever other kde components you need on one laptop and use the -k flag again on the other laptops. That should get it all running within maybe 12 hours?

Jason

WOW, seems great!!!

I am definetely going to try it when I get other laptops. Currently I have only one to install.

The laptop is P166 with 80MB RAM :((

--
P r a b h a t G u p t a /\/\*