Condon Thomas A KPWA wrote:

Prabhat,

Sometime it feels good to debug using DDD rather using plain gdb.

I can see that. I'm running full SuSE 8.0 on a Thinkpad 770 at home, with the usual KDE, so the 760 should be able to handle it, too. I've got to admit, though, that I do most of my debugging manually. I learned before they had these fancy tools.

Anyway my boss needs 4-5 of those junk laptops to demostrate compute
farms and he need some graphics.

I am looking for ideas to reduce the space requirment and also compile
time. I have only 24 hrs left for this :(

Whoosh. With only 24 hours left I'd choose a distro that would install without the compilation. Have you considered Knoppix running straight off the CD? It comes up in KDE.

I love Gentoo, but it won't build on old slow machines in 24 hours,
especially if you are doing KDE.  Someone mentioned KDE-base to give you a
minimal KDE.  I'd second that.  You can find smaller window managers, too.
But building X will still take more time than you have.  I've just completed
a Gentoo install on a Sony Vaio (Celleron 333MHz) and it took days.  Full
KDE ("emerge kde") from the stage 1 install was 120 packages, some of which
took more than a day.

You might remind your boss of the old triangle rule of thumb:  Draw a
triangle, label the corners "good", "fast" and "cheap".  Select any one line
and you can have those characteristics at its ends.

In Harmony's Way, and In A Chord,

Tom :-})

Thanks guys for all your help. I really love gentoo and the user community.

I think I will try to emerge xfree and then teach my boss how to install KDE-BASE.
He is my "remote" boss.