On 30/7/03 8:28 pm, "Marshal Newrock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Alan wrote:
>
>>> - Why isn't syslog-ng supplied with a suitable cron script to tidy my
>>>   logfiles..?
>>
>> This would be handled by logrotate, but you still have to come up with
>> the config files for it yourself :\  I managed to grab a bunch off my
>> debian box, but it'd be nice to see logrotate as a USE variable and
>> ebuilds to throw a script in /etc/logrotate.d/ if they see it for things
>> like postfix, syslog*, apache, etc.
>
> syslog-ng is much more configurable than sysklogd.
> ...That's in addition to being able to split up what would
> normally be one logfile into several, or combine a few, or just discard
> certain messages.

It's wonderful. I have /var/log/ADSL-Router-firewall.log
/var/log/ADSL-Router-other.log & /var/log/HP-LaserJet-Printer.log

>  I'm sure it's possible to have a default logrotate.d
> file for the default syslog-ng file.

I have to say I'm not really clear why I need logrotate for syslog-ng, when
I didn;t need it for sysklogd.

> ...  On the other hand, I seem to recall
> the default syslog-ng.conf file not having very much in it.

The default syslog-ng.conf file was indeed pretty lame. There's one in the
forums <http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=57257&highlight=syslogng>
which is much better. If there are any devs reading this, I'd vote for that
to become the default.

> At any rate, you get much greater control at the cost of greater
> maintenance.  Once you've figured out exactly what you want in your
> syslog-ng.conf file, though, it's fairly easy to write up a syslog-ng file
> for logrotate.  I just choose all the options I want to apply to (almost)
> all log files, then write up each individual file with any exceptions (ie,
> daily instead of weekly).

Thanks. I'll take a proper look at it.

Stroller.