On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Stroller wrote:

> >  I'm sure it's possible to have a default logrotate.d
> > file for the default syslog-ng file.
>
> I have to say I'm not really clear why I need logrotate for syslog-ng, when
> I didn;t need it for sysklogd.

sysklogd, I believe, has all the filenames for the log files hardcoded
into it.  (It's been a while since I've used it, so I could be
misremembering.)  And it has some helper programs, which list the files
that are supposed to be rotated daily and weekly, and rotate the listed
programs.  The first rotation is always .0, and never compressed, the
second is .1.gz and always compressed.  You don't get much say in the
matter.  Which is why I prefer the more versatile but harder to configure
option of syslog-ng and logrotate.

--
And the earth becomes my throne, I adapt to the unknown
Under wandering stars I've grown, by myself but not alone