Scharf Yuval wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can someone explain to me the following log messages from the kernel:
>
> ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
> ICH2: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev f9
> ICH2: chipset revision 2
> ICH2: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xff00-0xff07, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
>     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xff08-0xff0f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
> hda: 39102336 sectors (20020 MB) w/512KiB Cache, CHS=2434/255/63, UDMA(100)
>
> Using `hdparm -t /dev/hda5` I get ~27MB/s.
> Does it mean that my bus holds back my HD.
> Shouldn't I get 100MB/s?
> Can I do something to improve performance.

What a 'hdparm' day ;-)

Just read the manual page of hdparm and you will see that the '-t' flag
only gives your _Hard Drive_ speed. And a 27MB/s data rate is quite
corect for an IDE Hard Drive.
My latest Seagate Barracuda is given at 55MB/s, and my old Baracuda IV
80GB is given at 30MB/s.
In fact, i do not think that hdparm can easily reach the theorical IDE
bus speed, as the '-T' flag ( the second of the only two bench flags I
know ) gives system mem-buffer I/O speed.

--
Nicolas