hello,

I never really have used cron but lately i have been trying to.  I was trying to get
it to check my email hourly by putting an entry into the cron.hourly directory.  Well
suffice to say it did not work.  So i deleted the file and next i was trying to use
crontab from my local user.  I could not so after much google searching I made a
cron.allow file and added my user to it.  This still didnt work.  I added my users
name into the cron entry in my /etc/groups file.  Still no dice.  Finally i went and
modifed the privledges onthe executable now i can use crontab as a normal user, but
after more searching i found that there is a buffer overflow attack which can allow a
non root user to get root privledges.  I am the only user of my system so i am not to
worried but i was wondering if someone more knowledgeable could tell me if what i am
doing is silly.  Should i just figure a way to do everything i want to do with cron
from root.  I personally am leaning toward figuring a way to do it just with root,
because i figure there is a reason why cron and crontab were installed with the
permissions they had.  Your feedback is appreciated.

                Scott Jones
                aka slickquickyb