Hi!

> The docs section of gentoo.org is huge. Portage docs are there too.

I was probably getting tired yesterday in searching accross the web..
I missed the "Portage Manual" (I read the Portage User Guide, though).
Your mail invited me to look at the gentoo.org more closely.
Thanks!

> > A stupid question? How Does someone become proficient?
> By starting smaller, like by breaking gnome with the ebuilds from
> breakmygentoo. Search the desktop forum.

Yes... That's a good advice!
But the question is: Do I want to follow it ? ;-)

> > Don't you thing that at a given point, he has to give a try?
> Not necessarily, but you need to start smaller.

You are right... I think, I will start playing with the ebuild first.
And when I'm confident enough, I will try that bigger jump
called glibc.

Actually, I have already tailored my own glibc on another system.
So, I'm not a newbie in this regard.

> How do you expect to recover from a glibc failure?

Well, in the worse case you have to re-install everything from
scratch. But that's something I'm familiar with. I worked formerly
in a company where the hardware we were getting was still at
'development stage' (IOW totally buggy).

Did you ever try to get a stable system running on a buggy
Hardware? That's a really funny...

In one of my system, I have two set of glibcs: the official, and
my "customized version". I use a symlink to switch between both.
But I'm not sure that this solution is feasible with the current glibc...
I'll look at the source, and check the dependencies against NPTL.
(As of LinuxThreads, there is a relatively clean seperation between
glibc and llibpthread. I don't know if it's still hold). Even if it's OK,
I'm not sure this fit with the Gentoo ebuild process...

Alternatively, I could probably set-up several partitions, so that
I'm sure to boot at least a stable version, even if things got
definitively broken for the experimental one. I have to investigate
this more closely.

> I once knew German. The difference is I didn't kill myself when I
> used broken grammar.

Oh... Killing software is not really a problem. That's sometimes
means spending hours in re-installing all the things, but not more.
Killing Hardware, that's more problematic ;-)  Did you ever kill
Hardware?.

> Gentoo is great, but YMMV due to your needs being different.

Agree!

> Because we don't want to hold hands with someone doing the hard stuff
> before they learn how not to shoot themselves in the foot. If you want
> to hack, learn the following:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
>
> my $problem=$ARGV[0];
>
> while (defined($problem)) {
>   if (solve_my_own($problem)) {
>     print "Yippie!\n";
>   } else {
>     search_forums_for($problem);
>     search_mail_archives_for($problem);
>     try_again_to_solve_my_own($problem);
>     post_to_forums_about($problem);
>     email_list_about($problem);
>   }
> }

I usually follow your Algo (my version is written
 in FP language, though ;-). As I said before, I was
probably tired in searching without much success
so that I missed some important links :-(

> Best is subjective, and subject to ones needs. There are things Linux does
> better, etc etc.

Agree.

> > Are you saying that I'm simply just too stupid to use Gentoo and that
> > I should switch to RH instead? Which could be, everyone has a
> >  limit after all!
> I'm saying you haven't exhausted your resources, and you should learn to
> walk before yadda yadda...

Yup!

> > Or maybe it's not the right mailing list to discuss such a topic like
> > NPTL v0.55 ???
> There are forum threads about it. Happy searching.

Many thanks!

I'm really getting a positive feeling about the Gentoo's
community!

Loic.