begin  quote
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:25:17 +0300 (IDT)
Scharf Yuval <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can someone describe in a few sentences why it is so "dangerous" to
> install a newer version of glibc.
>
> And also what is the gain from getting NPTL? Do you think it improves
> performance very much? When is it suppose to be part of the stable
> version?

nptl 0.55 is in a KEYWORDS="-*" masked version of glibc

it needs kernel 2.5* (preferrably 2.6 to build)

2.6 is testing, bloody edge and prone to do weird things at times

if you downgrade to 2.4 you get "error, tried to kill init. kernel
panic" messages.

Generally, it worked.
   until my harddrive died.
then the machine didn't work anymore. :(

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!