On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 13:43, Loic Domaigne wrote:
> > How do you expect to recover from a glibc failure?
>
> Well, in the worse case you have to re-install everything from
> scratch. But that's something I'm familiar with. I worked formerly
> in a company where the hardware we were getting was still at
> 'development stage' (IOW totally buggy).
You know, this makes a nice point about gentoo. Since the install
process is sooo open and obvious about what is going on at any
given step, one does learn a lot just by installing. This prepares
you for the eventual system failure caused by PEBCAC related
mishap.

> Did you ever try to get a stable system running on a buggy
> Hardware? That's a really funny...
So funny I split some knuckle skin on the stupid machine!

> In one of my system, I have two set of glibcs: the official, and
> my "customized version". I use a symlink to switch between both.
> But I'm not sure that this solution is feasible with the current glibc...
> I'll look at the source, and check the dependencies against NPTL.
> (As of LinuxThreads, there is a relatively clean seperation between
> glibc and llibpthread. I don't know if it's still hold). Even if it's OK,
> I'm not sure this fit with the Gentoo ebuild process...
Be aware that things like nvidia-glx need re-emerging to select
the right thread model.

> Alternatively, I could probably set-up several partitions, so that
> I'm sure to boot at least a stable version, even if things got
> definitively broken for the experimental one. I have to investigate
> this more closely.
This should be your goal IMHO.

> > I once knew German. The difference is I didn't kill myself when I
> > used broken grammar.
>
> Oh... Killing software is not really a problem. That's sometimes
> means spending hours in re-installing all the things, but not more.
> Killing Hardware, that's more problematic ;-)  Did you ever kill
> Hardware?.
Nope. glibc changes are unlikely to cause that. XFree was written for
this purpose.

> I'm really getting a positive feeling about the Gentoo's
> community!
I'm glad to see someone who takes the "tough love" (I'm not talking
about forced anal penetration ;) ) in a positive way.