At this point, I'd almost trust NPTL more. After following this thread,
it seems you have the knowhow and motivation to fix buggy LT apps for
NPTL if they break.

As for NPTL+SMP, that goes double. LT is pretty much unmaintained at
this point, and that's scarier than a few hitch es along the way.

I'd be happy to offer any more system specific help WRT portage,
ebuilds, gentoo, the linker, gcc etc. Get a basic grip on it, and go to
town. Sounds like you're ready to break stuff.