At 05 September, 2003 Ernie Schroder wrote:
> OK so I've been burned and am finally doing regular backups. There are
> 6 boxes on the home LAN here and I had a 5 port 10/100 hub and a 10
> Base 8 port hub so at best 2 machines were stuck at a slower
> connection. This didn't bother me much because there was never a
> great deal of large files being passed. I just used the 8 port hub
> cause the puppy chewed one of my patch cords.
>       This morning I went out and got a shiny new 10 port 10/100 switch.
> So, after hooking it up, I did an scp of a stage-3 tarball from 1
> gentoo box to the other Throughput was 656 kb/sec,virtually the same
> as with the10 Base hub. I restarted net.eth0 on both boxes and tried
> again. This time, the throughput was 971 kb/sec or about 1.5 times as
> fast. Should I expect more? both machines have 10/100 nics and the
> switch shows connection at 100 Base. The boxes are both connected to
> the hub with 6 foot cat5e patch cords. Is there some configuration
> I'm missing do I need to reboot? :-( What kind of throughput do
> others see on a similar setup?

If you're using SCP, then the machine's processing speed may be the
bottleneck -- SCP introduces a *lot* of overhead for encryption and
compression (regardless of whether the data is already compressed).

You may want to try setting up an unencrypted connection -- rcp or http?
to see what the actual capacity is like.

--
Andrew Farmer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]