There's a lot of talk that pops up in gentoo-dev regarding etc-update. For the
time being, etc-update (or dispath-conf for a little protection) is about the
best you'll get. Having said that, dispatch-conf *does* do automatic header
and white-space merging and can also be set to auto-merge files that you
haven't edited. Edit /etc/dispatch-conf.conf, run dispatch-conf, create the
directory it tells you to and then run it again. It's about as (not!) easy to
use as etc-update but will present you with much fewer changes.