Exactly why I use an editor, Herbert. Yes, I can read the diff output but when the output is more than a screenful then I'm left wondering what I missed. So I go to an editor and have two windows. In short, it's not a no brainer - you do have to verify what's happening to some files that are critical such as /etc/fstab. Unfortunately, many people don't do that. They don't understand and bang they've killed the system. However, I understand there is discussion and an attempt to make this easier and a little more bulletproof <G>.