If you blindly say update it then etc-update sure will mess it up. Every update that etc-update has wanted to do has wanted to replace my /dev/... with /dev/BOOT and take out my stuff and that would sure hose the system. Other than running it through an editor manually I don't know of anyway to let etc-update do it. I suppose you could try an interactive update but for files like fstab I'll do it by hadn.