On 09/17/03  Martin Klaffenboeck wrote:

> Am 2003.09.17 14:26 schrieb(en) Marius Mauch:
> > On 09/17/03  Martin Klaffenboeck wrote:
> > > I know, I can send bug reports and so on, but I think, there
> > > aren't enaugh people with write access to the portage,
> >
> > There are currently ~150-200 people with write access to cvs and
> > that's already more than the cvs server can handle. For obvious > >
> > reasons we can't give non-developers write access to the tree, after
> > all we need some credibility and QA.
>
> Ok, so I'll use my own local/portage.  At the moment I have about 14
> packages in there.  Downloaded from bugs.gentoo.org, and selfmade.

If a bug is idle for more than, lets say one month post a comment on the
bug to notify the assigned developer, if he's not responding ask another
developer to look after it (per mail or IRC).

> On FreeBSD everything the FreeBSD ports went faster.  Maybe this will
> be here too one day?

Last time I looked at FreeBSD a lot of packages I use regulary were
rather outdated.

> BTW.  150-200 People worldwide are not very much.  And the cvs is
> overloaded?

The current overload has two reasons: inadequate hardware and the master
rsync mirror is running on that box. Both issues are are going to be
resolved soon (I hope).
But even then we can't just give write access to non-developers for the
other given reasons. We need to have control over what is going in the
tree.

> Maybe we have to create some inofficial portage trees?

www.breakmygentoo.net

Marius

--
Public Key at http://www.genone.de/info/gpg-key.pub

In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.