begin  quote
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:36:47 +0200
Martin Klaffenboeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> BTW.  150-200 People worldwide are not very much.  And the cvs is
> overloaded?

Yeah, the server is badly overloaded at the moment. We have a new server
in transit I've been told, but it isn't installed yet.

> Maybe we have to create some inofficial portage trees?

preferrably not, We already spend a lot of time weeding out idiotic bug
reports from breakmygentoo's experimental builds ( Why do we get bugs
signed for packages that don't exist in our tree?  )    Perhaps we
should implement DRM technology for packages so that all installed
builds are checked in a bug-submission state and if custom changes are
made they don't validate?  ;)

(Just kidding, But I think that would be the only way to avoid the extra
work)

The main problem about workforce is growth. We've had some bad issues
where that when we overnight got loads of users, and the increasing
amount of users increased our levels of bugs and more reports, grew the
packages, but as developers we couldn't match. We had to take in more
devs, but this adds another issue, training developers.

Even if you think you're good you realize theres a lot of things to
know, from policy to best practices, and including why some of the
seemingly "illogical" behaviours of packages are the right way.

Right now we're once more in a groth period of developers, and it seems
things are slowly shaping out to become more even in terms of
developer/user/package ratio.

There is inherent wisdom in quotes like this:

A manager went to the master programmer and showed him the requirements
document for a new application.  The manager asked the master:
"How long will it take to design this system if I assign five
programmers to it?"
"It will take one year," said the master promptly.
"But we need this system immediately or even sooner! How long will it
take it I assign ten programmers to it?"
The master programmer frowned. "In that case, it will take two years."
"And what if I assign a hundred programmers to it?"
The master programmer shrugged. "Then the design will never be
completed," he said.
          -- Geoffrey James, "The Tao of Programming"

//Spider
--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!