> > You should build it within the kernel not as a separate ebuild.
> > In the sound section you can select alsa support.
> >

> True enough, but my experience with the 2.6 alsa was not good.  I
> have a card
> (es1371) that works just fine with the OSS modules, but it's DOA
> with 2.6 alsa
> support.  Since I have seen almost no updates in the -test2 -
> -test5 timeframe,
> my general impression is that no one in kernel development gives
> a sh#t about
> alsa, nor am I aware of any way to influence this without getting on some
> firehose listing.

For kicks I emerged the development-sources. I assume this is the 2.6 kernel
you are talking about.

I have no real intention of building this kernel, but I wanted to look
around a bit. Alsa sound is an option when I run make xconfig, which is
good, and it appears that everything is ready to go, but when I look in
drivers I do not see a sound directory.

So, where is Alsa in this kernel?

Thanks,
Mark