On 30 Sep 2003, at 12:22 pm, Stephen Boulet wrote:

On Monday 29 September 2003 02:45 pm, Matthias F. Brandstetter wrote:
If you only want to send mails from the command line, you first have to set
up ssmtp (under /etc/ssmtp ... or something like that).

After that, you can send an email via

$ cat /path/to/mail.txt | mail -s <subject> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I probably don't have /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf configured correctly. I get this
error:

# cat file.txt | sendmail -s "mailing from the command line"
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
sendmail: Cannot open mail.localdomain:25

You almost certainly don't.

Have you actually tried LOOKING at /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf..?
It is the most simple configuration file I have ever encountered under Unix.

I suggest you back it up using `cp /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf.example` and try messing around with it.

if you call `sendmail` (which, I think you'll find is a sym-link to `ssmtp`) with the "-v" flag then it will help you identify what the problem is. I think that 30 minutes of this will help you resolve your issues better than days of helpless, uninformational postings to this group.

I suggest you also read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
If you have any more questions, please provide more informational - the contents of your /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf & the full output of `cat file.txt | sendmail -v [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Stroller.