On Thursday 02 October 2003 04:00 pm, Frank R Callaghan wrote:
> On Thursday 02 October 2003 03:12 pm, Ernie Schroder wrote:
> > On Thursday 02 October 2003 02:45 pm, Frank R Callaghan wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I've just installed Gentoo on my work system (replacing RH) it
> > > work really well - fast but I have two problems I need help
> > > with,
> > >
> > > 1) my usb CF card reader does not work,
> > >   I complied my kernel with genkernel defaults,
> > >
> > > lsmod gives:-
> > > Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: PF
> > > msdos                   5100   0  (autoclean)
> > > fat                    29752   0  (autoclean) [msdos]
> > > serial                 48996   0  (autoclean)
> > > isa-pnp                28068   0  (autoclean) [serial]
> > > vmmon                  22900   0
> > > floppy                 47996   0  (autoclean)
> > > tulip                  38912   1
> > > usb-storage            60668   0  (unused)
> > > hid                    13908   0  (unused)
> > > usb-ohci               17216   0  (unused)
> > > usbcore                55488   1  [usb-storage hid usb-ohci]
> > >
> > > but,  /dev has only sda not sda1, sda2....... and sda is a
> > > symlink /dev/sda -> scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
> > >
> > > I guess this is some form of devfs majic !?? how can I make
> > > this work?
> > >
> > > 2) My screen now tares while moving windows around,
> > >   I'm using vmware so I need DGA my vidio card is
> > >   an 'ATI Rage XL 16M AGP 2X' I am currently
> > >   using the generic ati Driver.
> > >
> > >   Does anyone have a good XF86Config example
> > >   for this setup ?
> >
> > What happens if you do (as root):
> > fdisk -l /dev/sda   ?
>
> nothing !
>
> > then
> > fdisk -l /dev/sda1   ?
>
> nothing, just trying fdisk /dev/sda returns 'Unable to open
> /dev/sda'
>
> > Is there media with a valid partition table in the reader?
>
> yes
>
> > Unplug the reader and plug it back in and post the last 5 or so
> > lines of "dmesg"
>
> usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:07.4-2 address 5
> hub.c: new USB device 00:07.4-2, assigned address 6
> WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
> USB Mass Storage device found at 6

just for the fun of it, try as root:
mount -t vfat /dev/sd (hit the tab key a couple of times for a list of
possibles)  (assuming you see sda1 in the list, finish the command)
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/[MOUNTPOINT YOU CREATED YOURSELF]
If that doesn't work try /dev/sda Let us know the results

--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free