At 12:33 AM 10/4/03 , Ernie Schroder wrote and said this:
On Friday 03 October 2003 11:42 pm, Steve wrote:
> At 09:36 AM 10/3/03 , Ernie Schroder wrote and said this:

> > > Nothing happens when I press ctrl+alt+printscreen
> > > The driver appears to be correct for the keyboard, pc101,us
> > > I cam switch consoles before starting X, yes.
> >
> >Can you change to VT1? ctrl+ alt+ F1?n If so, but not to other
> >terminals X is starting before the VT's are spawned. Not sure how
> > to check for that though
>
> I can not change to any terminal once in X.
>
> >Another thing to try.... Open an xterm (konsole if you're using
> > KDE) and type:
> >
> >setxkbmap -rules xfree86 -model pc101 -layout us -option ""
> >
> >Now try to change to a VT Can you?
>
> Typed that in and I was still unable to switch consoles in X
>
> >If that works, the problem is in your XF86Config. If not, I would
> >guess that your ctrl key is not working, perhaps remapped. Try the
> >shift key instead. Do the function keys work for their other uses
> > in X? (example: alt + F2 should bring up the "run command" dialog
> > and ctrl + F1-4 should change desktops in X)  You can also log on
> > as root and start X can you switch VT's now?
>
> Try logging in as root, still no change.  CTRL+ALT+BS works.
>
> >One other possibility, other than a borked keyboard, is that some
> >keyboard toggle has been set. For a while, I couldn't use the
> > number pad regardless of the numlock LED status. It turned out
> > that the combination shift+ alt+ numlock is a toggle for mouse
> > events on the pad. There (may?) be a combination that toggles the
> > ability to use the VT's but I've had no luck finding
> > documentation.
>
> I do get this message when X starts: xkbcomp reports Type
> "Two-level" has 2 levels but <AE05> has three arguments.

I have not. The keyboard works fine in Windows 98, and worked fine in X, up until a few weeks ago. The only thing that would have changed was an update to X.

Have you tried a different keyboard? From an xterm do
$ ps af | grep tty.

You should see tty 2-6 running like so. Do you?

Yep I see all of them.

$ ps ax |grep tty
 2680 vc/2     S      0:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux
 2681 vc/3     S      0:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty3 linux
 2682 vc/4     S      0:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty4 linux
 2683 vc/5     S      0:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty5 linux
 2684 vc/6     S      0:00 /sbin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux
 4521 pts/0    R      0:00 grep tty

What happens when you hit the combination alt + F1?
What happens when you hit the combination alt + F2?

Nothing.

--
Regards, Ernie