On Thursday 02 October 2003 11:17 pm, Steve wrote:
> At 03:32 PM 10/2/03 , Ernie Schroder wrote:

> > > Yep, even after restarting X.
> > >

> > > --
> >
> >what happens if you press ctrl+alt+printscreen?
> >That should take you back to the last VT you were logged into.
> > Check to make sure you have the right driver for your keyboard in
> > your XF86Config.
> >Can you switch consoles BEFORE you start X?
> >If you can, the problem is in XF86Config
>
> Nothing happens when I press ctrl+alt+printscreen
> The driver appears to be correct for the keyboard, pc101,us
> I cam switch consoles before starting X, yes.

Can you change to VT1? ctrl+ alt+ F1?n If so, but not to other
terminals X is starting before the VT's are spawned. Not sure how to
check for that though
Another thing to try.... Open an xterm (konsole if you're using KDE)
and type:

setxkbmap -rules xfree86 -model pc101 -layout us -option ""

Now try to change to a VT Can you?

If that works, the problem is in your XF86Config. If not, I would
guess that your ctrl key is not working, perhaps remapped. Try the
shift key instead. Do the function keys work for their other uses in
X? (example: alt + F2 should bring up the "run command" dialog and
ctrl + F1-4 should change desktops in X)  You can also log on as root
and start X can you switch VT's now?
One other possibility, other than a borked keyboard, is that some
keyboard toggle has been set. For a while, I couldn't use the number
pad regardless of the numlock LED status. It turned out that the
combination shift+ alt+ numlock is a toggle for mouse events on the
pad. There (may?) be a combination that toggles the ability to use
the VT's but I've had no luck finding documentation.
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free