On 2003.10.13 19:09, Daniel Wood wrote:
[snip]

> On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 15:23, Ernie Schroder wrote:
> assuming Knoppix did boot and see the sata drives, uname will tell
you
> the kernel vision and cat /proc/config will show you the config of
> the running kernel. Seems to me to be worth a shot.

I'm downloading KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-09-24-EN.iso now; 708megs to go.
I'll
post back with that information.

If I assume that the Knoppix detects the drives and I get their kernel
version and config, how do I actually go about using that information?

Remember, the machine has no accessible harddrive and nothing
installed...  Since I've got time (lots of time) while the iso
downloads, I'm just trying to see my way through this.

Will I be able to 'unmount' the Knoppix cd, jam in the gentoo cd, and
pick up at step 6 of the installation?

Thanks again everyone.

Better yet, you should be able to do the install from the knoppix cd. I doubt the knoppix cd would eject anyway while running, as the / filesystem is a loopback file on the cd, and the drive is thus in use.

But all you need on the boot cd is partitioning and chroot'ing abilities, and some other simple utilities that should be there (like tar). You can download the stageX tarball from a mirror from in knoppix.

--

Chris I

Lockwood's Long Shot:
        The chances of getting eaten up by a lion on Main Street
        aren't one in a million, but once would be enough.