On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 10:00:30 +0900 Jason Stubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Saturday 18 October 2003 01:33, Kevin Miller, Jr. wrote:
> >
> > I have decided that I wanted to give the 2.6 kernel a try.  Right now I am
> > debating on which kernel to use, the development-sources or the mm-sources.
> > I am currently using a Dell Inspiron 8100 notebook.  Any recommendations?
>
> Try the development-sources first. mm-sources has patches for better desktop
> performance but often breaks things. If you try the development-sources first
> you will at least know what breaks and what doesn't before getting even more
> experimental.
>
> > Also, if I add the 2.6 kernel, will it affect my other 2.4.22 kernels
> > (ac-sources and ck-sources)?  Is there something I should do before I
> > compile the 2.6 kernel?
>
> Everything that you need has all the proper deps put in place in portage. If
> you install manually, check one of the ebuilds to see what deps are required.

Just curious.  I haven't kept up with the progression in the mm-sources.
Wouldn't a later -testn kernel include most of the stuff in an earlier
mm-kernel?  If not, what specifically makes mm- so spiffy?

I haven't noticed any lack of desktop performance on -testn kernels (at least
3 months, now running-test8).  X responsiveness is normal when running an emerge
or a kernel compile, for example.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the