On Saturday 18 October 2003 11:49, Kevin Miller, Jr. wrote:
> Since I want to keep my 2.4.22 kernels, what should I do to make sure I do
> not lose the config files for these kernels?  When I upgraded from 2.4 to
> 2.4.22, I remember removing the old configs in /usr/src/linux.  Will I do
> the same. I read in the a couple people mentioning to cd into
> /usr/src/linux-beta and compiling from there.

What specifically do you mean by old configs? The complete configuration file
for any kernel is stored at /usr/src/linux*/.config. If you keep that file
then it is all you need unless you want to recompile pcmcia-cs for your
2.4.22 kernel. To recompile packages that add kernel functionality for a
specific kernel you need to keep certain other files (not sure which; easiest
to keep the entire tree). Before recompiling said packages, ensure that /usr/
src/linux points to the kernel you want to compile for.

Jason