Matt Neimeyer wrote:
Partition Magic doesn't want to allow resizes on this partition

What version of Partition Magic and is it actually ext3?

Partition Magic 7 and no it's really ext2...

partition magic can do it, BUT, it needs to be ext2 partitions made with partition magic, else it doesn't work

I guess this may be a really stupid question... but... Why does it matter? Isn't a partition a partition?

And does that imply that I have to somehow find the tool I used to create the partition and use that? (I'm 99% certain it was the cfdisk on the Gentoo LiveCD) Or is there a tool I can use to "bless" the partition or partition table so I can use other tools.

That's normally not the case. I used to use Partition Magic 7 on my Slackware 8.1 box and had no problems, even though the ext2 partitions were *not* create with Partition Magic in the first place. The only thing I remember PM7 couldn't do was ext3. Although, this was fixed in PM8.

--
Andrew Gaffney