> A more novice-friendly tool would probably benefit a lot of users. But
> it should be as an additional option for updating files as well as
> the current etc-update, not instead of it. Seeing as so many people are
> keen for such a tool it shouldn't be too long before someone writes one.
> Maybe the graphical program someone mentioned fits the bill already...
>
> Cheers
> David
>
> BTW it may be helpful to read the last couple of paragraphs from Heschi
> Kreinick's post in August for a brief overview of how the current
> `problem' came to be:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/42052/

Again, I urge people to check out the cfg-update script that opens the great
full-featured xxdiff program as a replacement for etc-update. Really newbie
friendly! Find it on the Gentoo forums under the Docs, tricks, tips
forum.(post has great screen shots) Once set up, you just type cfg-update -i
instead of etc-update after emerging if you need to.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=86622

Robert Crawford