For those interested, there's a great gui replacement script for etc-update on
the Gentoo forum by xentric (with screenshots). He helped me tremendously
getting it working, as my system was severely misconfigured, and I had
problems. He has updated it with some things we discovered which will insure
that users will avoid the pitfalls I ran into. (In the process, I also
corrected serious problems with my Gentoo installation).

Robert Crawford (wrc1944 on the forum)

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=86622