On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 04:10:18PM -0400, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> At 03:33 PM 10/24/2003, you wrote:
> >If you have a package that has a KDE and GNOME
> >interface and you only run GNOME, adding "-kde" to your USE flags
> >will make it so that when portage compiles the package it will only
> >compile the GNOME interface.
>
> I've seen this mentioned before and I'm curious, how many apps out there
> would fall into this category ?? That is, having both a GNOME and KDE
> interface ?? I know with many apps, gaim, for example, are in fact GTK

Probably not a lot, it's more useful of things like different database
support (ie: dbm/mysql/postgres)and network protocol stuff.  Bad example
on my part.

> apps, *not* Gnome apps. When you configure gaim with "./configure
> --disable-gnome" it leaves out "something" that's gnome-based. Not sure
> what, nor really care, but that's the only kind of instance I've seen of
> this.

This probably disabled the gnome session management stuff.  Never really
looked into it to be honest.

The use howto (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/use-howto.xml) has more
information and far better examples.  It won't give you more control
over what's installed than you can do with --disable and --enable flags,
but it does give you some control.

--
Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://arcterex.net