Don't let the length fool you. They are trying to cover all the bases.

Update is via a portage system - you do emerge sync and it gets a list of all updates. They you run a couple of other commands, see what it wants to update and then let it update what you want.

It's FAR superior to RPM. I hope never to return to the land or RPM. Using them was bad enough - I even wrote some RPMs! Never again, please. Portage is kind of like apt-get but much more flexible since it's not RPM based. Dependencies are handled very well.