I'm doing the same thing. I bought a barebones system from tigerdirect, and
run Gentoo + imap + fetchmail + squirrelmail. My wife can check mail from her
Windows XP box, I can check it from KMail, Evolution, Thunderbird, mutt, etc.
There's a little setup involved, but worth the effort IMO.

On Thursday 23 October 2003 12:48 am, Nate Duehr wrote:
 Sami Salonen wrote:
 > This was exactly what I was looking for - I would like to be able to see
 > my local folders in Windows too. Now I'm just wondering whether this
 > can be accomplished with KMail and any Windows mail client?

 There is another very sane option... switch to IMAP, keep all the mail
 on the server.  :-)  Then you have LOTS of choices for clients in any OS.

 If all you have is pop accounts, turn a box into a local IMAP server,
 and use fetchmail to pull stuff down and deliver it to the "server" machine.

 I switched to IMAP a number of years ago and haven't looked back, as
 long as the server's backed up, my mail's there and accessible from
 anywhere with squirrelmail (web) or an IMAP/TLS client.

 Nate, [EMAIL PROTECTED]