I've only been using Gentoo for a few weeks. I've tried different kernels in that time and have been happily using "gs-sources". It's the "newest" available, I think. Anyway, in these three weeks, I started with pre6 and less than a week ago, a pre7 became available. While researching my last post, I see that pre8 is now available.

So, again if one wants a stable kernel, or one that doesn't get updated weekly or so, one probably should stick to the "vanilla-sources". It certainly doesn't hurt to read the CHANGELOG on newly released kernels either. I do, and if there's nothing listed that I'm having issues with, I do NOT upgrade. My Debian box, which I compile the kernel myself vs using a Debian package is using 2.4.18 I think... <GASP !>. My Mandrake box is using an even older one. Heh, I can't recall ever updating that machine since installing whatever version of Mandrake is on it. And ..... it works.

As for me using such a "new" kernel, again, I read the CHANGELOG and it listed lots of USB fixes, updates, etc. I was having USB-related problems before and with the new kernel, I don't.

Regards
Hall

At 10:07 AM 10/28/2003, you wrote:
He was using GS-Sources, which is a highly changing kernel.. Its got all kinds of Patches and so forth. so its updated constantly..

Like I said yesterday, most of the kernels are not updated "all the time" unless your using these development kernels. So there is no reason to add functionality for the few.. Specially when these can be controlled by package.mask. Whats so hard about entering a line in there so the kernel doesn't show up all time??

> Well, I snipped too much of the original post, so I don't
> know exactly
> which kernel was being used now. Anyway, from the page you
> reference, there
> is a "gentoo-sources" kernel and a "gs-sources" kernel.

<SNIP>