> --- Chris Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > What is the best way to get out of stuck KDE desktop session
> > > and restart KDE when something in Gentoo freezes the desktop
> > > like that?
> >
> > Did you try Ctrl-Alt-Backspace?
>
> Thanks for the reply Mike and Chris.
>
> To funny. As I was logged-in via dialup reading Chris's response, I hit
>  Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. This brought me back to what looked like the tail
> end of my bootup sequence just before KDM starts when Gentoo first
> starts up, but had a text login at the very bottom of the screen. It
> stayed like that for about maybe 5 seconds and then switched to the KDM
> login box. When I logged back in I noticed that the modem never
> disconnected but nothing was running in the bottom of the desktop.

Josh,
   I've had this happen also. Try changing the /etc/inittab default runlevel
to 3 instead of 5. This takes you to a console when boot up instead of kdm.
You log in and type startx and you're in KDE (or whatever you are using.)

   Setup like this, when I've had to Alt-Ctl-Backspace out of X it's always
stayed at the console.

   You could also try Alt-Ctrl-F2 (or F3-F6) and go to a different console.
>From their you can run top and kill some runaway process, or KDE itself if
you need to.

- Mark