Thanks everyone. You've all been very helpfull. Much appreciated.

I've gotten closer to figuring out what the problem is caused by I
think. I didn't even think about but I just installed a "Belkin
OmniCube 2port ps/2 switch" thee other day so that I could share my big
monitor between my win2k box and gentoo.

Well I just had win2k freeze completely. No recovering from that no
matter what I try. Atleast gentoo allows me to recover. So it looks as
though this probably has to do with the new switch. Yee-Haw.. using
linux is like being a super computer detective. Now I have something
new to diagnose and figure out today. Geesh...and to think the day was
going be boring. Heh.. never with linux. :D Woo-hoo

Thanks again,
JBanks