> Hi
>
> As far as I'm aware this is not true (since runlevels 3,4 and 5 are all
> the same in gentoo). The only way to avoid booting into kdm is to either
> change the value of DISPLAYMANAGER in /etc/rc.conf to something else
> (gdm or xdm or ome of the new e managers) or to remove xdm from the
> default runlevel
>
> rc-update del xdm default
>
> as root
>
> changing the runlevel from 5 to 3 only stops X loading on RedHat and
> RedHat derived linux distros.
>
> Have Fun,
> Joel.

Joel,
   You may well be right. I'm no guru about this stuff, and I don't know
much about the specifics of Gentoo runlevels. I don't emerge KDE or Gnome
under any circumstances on my machines, and I'm not even sure if I have kdm.
(Boy, I'm dumb!) ;-)

   My Gentoo machines get built with just a text type login and happily run
nothing but fluxbox for X. This strategy works for me on my Gentoo machines,
and works on my Redhat machines where 3, 4 & 5 are a bit different. Maybe
I'm speaking out of school here. Sorry if I've not contributed.

Mark