On Freitag, 7. November 2003 11:51, Aaron Walker wrote:
> I just installed gentoo for the first time earlier this week.  Got
> everything up and running perfectly.  I am very impressed.  Anyways...
> I ran 'emerge openoffice' last night before I left for work, and when
> I came home there was an error. I went to emerge another package
> (evolution) and immediatly got another error.  Upon rebooting I
> noticed somewhere it said device is full, so I ran df and noticed that
> the 2GB /var partition was full and I am assuming that is the reason I
> cannot run emerge successfully.  Why is /var full already?

Since it holde the sources and is used to compile the packages.

> I thought 2GB would be overkill. Was I wrong?

yep.

> What can I do to clean it out?

Leave it.

> Should I make a larger partition for /var?

yep.

I did this:

1. make a 5 GB partition.

2. mount my new 5GB partitions as something (add it to /etc/fstab)

3. move the complete /var/tmp directory to something,
   so that it would become /something/tmp

4. make a symlink: ln -s /something/tmp /var/tmp

5. restart the emerge again: works nicely then.  :-)
   After it finished running most of the rubbish in /something/tmp
   got erased automatically.

HTH,
Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>            <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>