On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 07:13:35PM +0000, Jorge Almeida wrote:
> I just bought a USB scanner (Epson perfection 1660), and, of course, I
> can't get it to work under linux. Murphy rules.

   Sorry to hear that.  I'm quite happy with my Epson Perfection 1650 USB
scanner, and have had few problems with it.

> The kernel is 2.4.22 vanilla, with usb support compiled in. Something is
> wrong at a base level, because  the file /proc/bus/usb/devices is empty!
> The scanner was already on when I started the computer.

   If the devices file is empty, then indeed something is wrong at a
base level, because the 'root hubs' on the motherboard should show up
even if no USB devices are plugged in.

   The fact that the file exists at all means you must have USB and the
USB filesystem compiled into the kernel.  What about the host drivers?
You need to have one of either UHCI or OHCI installed as well, and it
has to be the appropriate one to your motherboard or USB card.  The
kernel options do say which is more likely, by chipset:
   UHCI (Intel PIIX4, VIA, ...) support
   OHCI (Compaq, iMacs, OPTi, SiS, ALi, ...) support
You may also want EHCI support, which is needed for high-speed 2.0, but
that's not necessary for a scanner.

   Just 'grep USB /proc/pci' should be enough to tell you what company's
chipset you're using.  Do that, make sure the appropriate host driver is
in place, and if things don't work then, at least you should have more
useful information to work with...