Alma J Wetzker wrote:

After running Caldera linux (happily) for several years, I tried to update the kernel of my system. Really bad plan.

I now have gentoo running on an athlon XP system. I can get into the X system and most things appear to be running. I need help with a few things;

How do I get sound? I have a SB Live! 5.1 and have alsa loaded. I tried loading emu10k1 but get an error (unresolved external) [If I could find more detail I would report it.]

How do I get the system to come up in the graphical login? I have Gnome working but I would like to get kde up instead. Can I select that from a graphical login prompt?

How do I get drivers for the cups printing system? I have a tektronix 740L color laser printer and none of the drivers packaged with cups give me color. (The HP postscript driver works with the printer in BW only.)

I am sure this is just the beginning of a wonderful learning experience. I am now learning just how much my kids would like to use the system so any help would be gratefully received.

-- Alma

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list

I hate using "RTFM" to answer with but if you were to check-out gentoo.org site then docs from there click on installation related. The desktop instalation guide will walk you through the windows manager stuff. Also while you are there read the alsa howto, which is well presented and will help you get yoursb live card up and runing.

HTH Cheers...

--
Ted Ozolins(VE7TVO)
Westbank, B. C