Hey, guys. I need your help. I'm really into 35mm photography (I hate digital cameras), though I very much like keeping a digital portfolio of my pictures for online display. I decided that I would like to purchase a scanner for the sole purpose of converting my images to a digital format with the highest quality-to-price ratio possible. I've heard a lot of excellent things about 35mm film scanners (they directly scan the image negatives to produce extremely high-quality digital renditions), and am considering those to be higher on my list than flatbeds. Problem: It has to work with my Linux desktop.

I'm asking the following questions of the Gentoo community:

* What, based on your experience, and keeping in mind that I'm on a budget (not willing to spend over $300, with an eye on the ones below $200), are the best (working in Linux) quality USB scanners (film or flatbed) on the market?
* Keeping Linux in mind, what would you recommend, and (if you've used it) what were your experiences in getting it to function (particularly with regard to drivers and userland tools)?

This is what I am currently considering: http://www.scanace.com/en/product/1800u.php

I believe it is TWAIN compatible, which should make things easier. If you feel so inclined, please weigh your responses against this. I thank the community in advance for any assistance provided. :]

--
Matthew Vaughn                       mvaughn (at) nethershaw (dot) com
Writing and the Graphic Arts                 http://www.nethershaw.com

GnuPG Key ID:       5EFDB776 (available from http://www.keyserver.net)
Key fingerprint:    4453 0AD2 39B2 62F6 6B41  F121 2A6F C139 5EFD B776