Hello everyone,

I just emerged rp-pppoe, but i can't get it running.
After adsl-setup, running 'adsl-start' just hangs
(tries to connect but tons of dots appear).

When i run 'adsl-setup' and 'adsl-start' from the gentoo LiveCD,
everything works fine, but not if i boot from my installed
gentoo system, so my best guess is that my kernel config
is wrong somewhere.

I was even clever enough to emerge rp-pppoe (and ppp as a dependency)
using the --fetchonly option, because i saw some configure script
checking kernel stuff like 'ppp-over-ethernet kernel support'.
Installing rp-pppoe while running the gentoo LiveCD kernel
is probably not a good idea, so i compiled both packages after
rebooting with my installed gentoo-kernel. Of course i've enabled
'packet sockets' and 'ppp over ethernet' in my kernel configuration.

Any ideas ?

Some further words:

After browsing thru' several online & offline docs, i still have
no idea what I exactly need to do. Some documents are real crap.
Let me introduce an example:

/usr/share/doc/ppp-2.4.1-r14/html/pppoe.html

It says:

  Make sure to enable PPP over Ethernet in the kernel configuration, as
  well as as the "Packet Socket" option.  You must also enable support
  for experimental drivers.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*LOL*, good one. The kernel configuration contains a ZILLION
'experimental' drivers and/or options. How shall i know what
these guys mean ?

And further:

Include the following line in your ppp options file:

plugin pppoe

Let's assume that they mean the file named /etc/ppp/options.
That file doesn't contain the mentioned option; I thought that
after emerging the packages, all that should be configured well,
so i decided not to screw up my whole system configuration only
due to several poorly written docs - like that one.

Another unanswered question: adsl-setup asks for something like
a 'firewall mode' (0-2). If i want to install a firewall later,
shall i enter '0' (no firewall) at adsl-setup and later install
a firewall manually, e.g. shorewall ? Would my custom firewall
(whatever I finally use) conflict with the so-called 'firewall'
that adsl-setup wants to setup ?

So many riddles.

Meanwhile, I'll better keep my SuSE router alive, until I find a
comprehensive pppoe guide that eventually ends with a successful
pppoe setup for a gentoo box. The SuSE pppoe guide is so good that
even my grandmother couldn't ever fail to install pppoe on a SuSE box.
I'm a gentoo user since about 4 weeks, i've already installed a
full-blown gnome box with tons of stuff, and a second box with
server stuff like apache, php etc etc, but this time I'm really
getting frustrated... such a simple thing like 'connecting to the
internet' appears to be a science..

Please - sorry for the unbelievably long mail and the hard words,
just frustration. Currently I'd swap a kingdom for a good guide..