IIRC the LiveCD does support ssh.  You might have to start the ssh daemon
with /etc/init.d/sshd start.  Long ago I used it to get the stage 1 tarball
from one of my machines to the box that was to be a Gentoo box.

Backups:

/home/*
/etc/*
/usr/local/anything you've added here.

Seems like I'm missing something but I just shut down my main machine that I
use for backups down for the night.