On Sunday 14 December 2003 10:07 pm, N. Owen Gunden wrote:
> I'd like to start using NPTL for at least wine, with hopes of seeing
> performance enhancement.
>
> As I understand it, here's what I need to do:
>
> - Install kernel 2.6.0-test11
> - Set the nptl USE flag
> - emerge glibc (2.3.2 ok?)
> - emerge wine
>
> I read somewhere that I should use GCC 3.3 (I'm using 3.2.3).  Is there
> any truth to this?  Is there any reason /not/ to upgrade GCC?
>
> Do I need to re-emerge anything else?

You should also emerge modutils and perhaps binutils also. Be aware, once you
enabe nptl in glibc, you'll never be able to run a kernel other than 2.6.0.

That said, I've noticed some real improvements in the way that my nptl test
box runs. Namely KDE, mysql, etc.

Cheers.

                     Registered Linux User Number 185956
          http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&group=linux
This email account no longers accepts attachments or messages containing html.
     6:21am  up 75 days, 11:14,  7 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00