N. Owen Gunden wrote:

> Well, I finally found the answer to my problems.  I needed to
> re-emerge nvidia-glx (that's right--nvidia-glx, *not*
> nvidia-kernel!).  mplayer works, wine works, xmms works.
>
> Though I'm not overly impressed with wine's performance.  It's slower
> than it was on 2.4 without nptl.  Though to be fair it doesn't seem to
> be wine that's going slow, it's X that's hogging all the resources.
>
> Unfortunately I haven't been able to get DGA to work in starcraft for
> battle.net..

I have had the 2.6 kernel slow to almost a halt on my P4-3.06GHz (HT enabled
with SMP).  It will work fine for a couple of days, and then for some reason
the screen saver power saving mode seems to cause the kernel to slow and
virtually halt.  It is nearly impossible to even shutdown as saving ALSA
settings takes many many minutes.

This slowdown is a rare thing but it has happened too me three times so far.

Tom Veldhouse