begin  quote
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 21:12:34 +0000
Thomas Richards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> /boot ext2 10 MB

you have 120 gb, use at least 32 mb here. or you'll regret it when you
want to try out things (oh, new bootloader with some cute games in it?
perhaps initrd with a mini-safe system on it for... )  just in case.

> /var ReiserFS X GB(I was thinking maybe 20? 30? any suggestions?)

/var ~512Mb - 1Gb,   i prefer ext3, theres no performance horse
necessary there. you want stability in "append" functions mostly.

/var/tmp  :   ext2,  No need for a journal at all.  ~5-8 Gb is quite
enough even if you dont clean it out.  ext2 is still by far the fastest
filesystem.

And frankly, you don't care about "oh i must retain all data if power
goes" on /var/tmp ..  the thing you do mostly there is compile. "oops"
if its lost ; )

> /usr/portage ReiserFS 5 GB (i read that rfs is good for small files,
> on the forums it suggested this because of updating the portage cache
> and most of the files are small, so the process speeds up)

I suggest ext2 here too. All the data can be recovered from the net, so
 you dont gain anything from a journal. And once more, performance is
better on ext2 ;)

> I dont think I'm going to want to make a seperate /home or /usr
> partition, but I was thinking of maybe a 10 GB /root partition on ext3
> to store important files.  Has anyone compared JFS to ext3?  I'm
> leaning more towards JFS, since I read it does have faster read time.
> I would make this as my root partition.

Separate /home from / , you have far more write activity in /home, so
you want that separated. and it makes for a better upgrade path when you
move systems, or try out another root partition (reinstalling Gentoo,
testing the new flashy distro on a small partition? ) as its just to
mount /home and all is there as you want it.

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!