On Wednesday 24 December 2003 22:39, Ben Calvert wrote:

> XFS is great, as long as you have a seperate power source for your drives,
> and a battery back up in the raid controller.  Otherwise, you _will_ suffer
> dataloss when your machine gets hardbooted.  strange, inexplicable loss in
> files that wern't even open when the machine went down.

Just goes to show what a personal thing a fs is.  Many like resierfs, but I've
experienced little but grief from it (two attempts over several years).  I've
read a few comments here and there that ext3 is not totally stable, but I
haven't had any problems (power failures included) over several years.  My
friends on linux-users maintain that any xfs problems with power outages were
fixed years ago (which doesn't stop the official gentoo documentation from
following this line) and probably were most probably due to selecting
unfortunate options for xfs in the first place  I've brought up comments like
these on the linux-users list, but they just laugh while successfully running
major servers with xfs..

--
Collins